Puerto Rican Vegan: Becoming a Spartan - the WARM-UP!

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Becoming a Spartan - the WARM-UP!



Yesterday I received my very first Spartan Workout of the Day (WOD). I immediately had to cast down fear. The workout itself was simple - your basic jogging and burpees. The thing that filled me with fright was the Warm-Up.

If you're like me, you've started workouts in the past with stretching. After doing my fair share of workout videos I learned that getting the muscles warm before a workout is best; stretching is to be left for the grand finale. In fact, stretching before a workout while your muscles are still cold can cause injuries. Always warm up before a workout. In the videos I've done, these warm-ups are cute little dance moves at best. This, my friends, is the mother of all warm-ups.

I understand that some of you are the sveltest, buffest, strongest people in all the land so you would scoff at this warm-up - but if you read yesterday's post you know that is not my story. The first thing I did when I saw this thing was tell myself that God has not given me a spirit of fear, but of POWER, love, and a strong MIND. I AM AN ATHLETE. I CAN DO THIS. I must.

The warm-up itself was more exercise than I had done in one session possibly ever. It was dynamic stretching with movement for 20 yards or 15 reps for the stationary movements. I had no idea what 20 yards was so it was a good thing I asked my handy dandy hubby Pierre. I was bundled up and prepared to hit the cold hard streets for the entire length of my cul-de-sac. Turns out it was a distance I could do inside my home (phew!). Granted these crazy moves garnered plenty of giggles from my kiddos, but all I could do was lovingly ignore them and purpose to stay focused. Laugh now, family. Laugh now.

Survive Day 1: Check!


No comments:

Post a Comment